Prep: 30 mins. Stand: 10 mins + 24 hrs
4- Cups fresh strawberries, hulled
4- Cups sugar
1- 1 3/4 - oz pkg, unflavored powdered fruit pectin
2/4 - Cup water
1 - TBLS, fresh lemon juice
1 - Small lemon, thinly sliced
1. In large bowl crush berries with masher. Stir in sugar and let stand 10 mins: stirring occasionaly.
2. In small sauce pan combine pectin and water. Bring to boiling: boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. POur into berry mixture. Add lemon juice and stir 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth. Stir in lemon slices.
3. Ladle jam into clean half- pint jars or freezer containers, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal and lebel. Let stand at room temperature 24 hrs or until set.
Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 1 year.
Makes about 5 half pints
* note: freezer jam does not set as firmly as cooked jam
* Each 2- TBLS.serving 87 calories, og fat, omg chol, 3mg sodium, 23g carbs, og fiber, og pro. Daily values: 17% vit. C, 1% iron
Sparkling jam: Prepare as above except omit lemon juice and slices. Stir 1/4 Cup champagne or white wine and 1 to 2 TBLS raspberry liqueur into berry mixture with pectin mixture.
Banana-Berry: Prepare as above except use 3 Cups strawberries, 1 Cup chopped banana ( about 2), and omit lemon juice and slices. Stir 2 TBLS creme de banana ( or lemon juice) into berry mixture with pectin. Stir 5 minutes until sugar is dossolved ( will set soft)
( Found in Better Homes & Gardens May , 2009 Issue)